Do you ever catch the renovation bug? It’s really hard not to with all of those home renovation shows on television. At any point in the day, you can flip channels and see a multitude of home design inspiration ideas. On one show, a designer is gutting a bathroom and turning it into a kind of bath-steam room. On another show, a homeowner is choosing new light fixtures. Watching other people refresh and restore their bathrooms makes me want to do it, too!
As usual, the first consideration before launching any home renovation project is the budget. If you have a large enough budget that can be dedicated to renovating your bathroom, by all means, I encourage you to take the leap. A well-designed bathroom will always pay back that investment. Even if you’re not planning to move, the simple enjoyment of using a fresh and stylish bathroom every day is enough to justify the money you spent on it.
If a bathroom renovation isn’t quite in the budget, don’t feel sad! In fact, there are so many things that you can do – yourself – do update and upgrade your bathroom. Forget about hiring a designer. With a little planning and know-how (Google’s great for that!), you’ll have a bathroom that will make you proud.
Check out these do-it-yourself ideas, and let me know what projects you’ve embarked on!
- Repaint (or buy a new) bathroom vanity.
- Install a floating or pedestal sink to free up floor space.
- Add shelving to those empty walls, especially over the toilet.
- Add a cupboard to the hallway outside the bathroom to store towels and other bathroom essentials.
- Get organized by reducing the number of knick knacks and loose items sitting on the countertop.
- Splurge on one or two high-priced pieces will make your bathroom look spectacular.
- Use paint to add drama to a small bathroom.
- Install a large mirror to add the illusion of extra space.
- And yes, any of us can even create our very own bath-steam room by buying a steam generator and installing shower doors that seal when the shower’s in use.