Stress is a real factor in our daily lives. Whether you live in a rural or urban environment or a small town or a big city, the pace of life really has sped up. It’s not our imaginations.
So, feeling tense and stressed more often is perfectly normal. That’s what happens when demands increase and breathing room decreases. The goal is to recapture some equanimity in our lives so that we can remain balanced and happy.
Let’s start with that last bit. What makes you happy? What leaves you feeling good? Maybe it’s a walk in the park or going to see a movie with friends. For me, it’s hopping on my bike and going for a quick ride on my bike. Sometimes I’ll run run some errands. Mostly, I just like to cycle through the park trail. It typically doesn’t take me more than 20 minutes. But, the change of pace feels fantastic.
Beyond doing what makes you happy, there are a few other common and fairly foolproof ways of achieving that perfect state of relaxation. Give these a try, and let me know what you do to de-stress!
- Have a shower. Ok, you know I’m going to suggest that you take a steam shower. The steam environment has long been considered a proven stress buster.
- Listen to music. Whatever kind of music lifts your spirits and your energy, that’s what you should listen to.
- Go to your happy place. Visualizing a place that you love is a great way to take yourself mentally away for a bit.
- Breathe deep. I’d be remiss if I didn’t mention deep breathing. Sometimes it’s all you need to help you rebalance and refresh.
- Light a candle. A scented one, of course. Aromatherapy is all about focusing on pleasant aromas.
How do you de-stress? I’d love to hear your tips!